How to be a critical reader (7 hours)
Provider: The Open University
Course time: 7 hours
How do I access and complete this course?
- Click here to register & join this course.
- In the form you will be prompted to join the Killara Micro credentialling Hub Microsoft Team
- When you have completed your micro credential go to the course assignment link in Microsoft Team and submit your certificate
NB: only verified students at Killara High School will be added to the MS Team.
In this free course you will focus on how to be a critical reader. Reading critically is an essential skill at university. It means being aware of your own purposes and opinions as you read and being able to recognise the writer's purposes and opinions in their writing.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- consider the importance of examining attitudes to texts.
- understand the organisation of argument texts.
- distinguish between facts and opinions in texts.
- examine hedging as a technique used by writers to express opinions and avoid making unsupported generalisations
- consider the importance of reliable evidence to support claims.